Home of The French Marketplace

La joie c'est le partage
{ the joy is in the sharing }

Monday, February 15, 2010

A Fun Monday Lamp Project

Want one of these?

I'll tell you how you can make one.

I love these burlap drum-like shades but they cost so much at those cute little antique boutique shops. I saw a lamp recently that I was in love with but you know what they wanted for it? $250.00

Yes, $250.00 - that's not a typo! Granted, it was larger than the one that I made here, but still...
Anyway, I immediately thought - I can do that!

So....
I gathered my supplies

a lamp of course - $6.99 at the Christmas Tree Shops

a shade
again, purchased at The Christmas Tree Shops for...yes...$1.oo

and a stencil, paint, brush and burlap that I had from another project shown here.
***

First, I laid out the burlap and traced the pattern of the lampshade onto it.


Next cut out your burlap and hot glue it to the shade.

(Careful not to burn your fingers - trust me!)


Now that your burlap is covering the shade, it's time to get out the paint and stencil.


I put a little bit of paint on a paper plate and then positioned my stencil where I wanted it. Now, lightly dip your brush in the paint and then dab most of it off onto a paper towel. You're going to use a sort of dry brush tequnique when stenciling. As soon as you're finished painting, remove the stencil and there you have it. Your very own fancy-schmancy lamp with a French-twist burlap shade for under $10.00!
Enjoy!!

Happy Monday!
xo,
Kathleen

10 comments:

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Looks great! Inspires me to try re-doing some of those thrift store shades I've been passing up!

Cheryl said...

Love the lamp shade tutorial. I also loved how you paired up the burlap with the glass base. The juxtaposition is wonderful.

The Feathered Nest said...

Just GORGEOUS Kathleen!!!! I love it so much and I love too what you paid for it all!!! Just beautiful ~ xxoo, Dawn

Helen said...

WOW ... love the lamp! Question ~ I have a lamp shade sitting in my garage. It isn't burlap, but a rough texture kind of fabric. Do you think I would have the same success as you if I didn't cover the shade with burlap?

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Oh you are good my friend,looks so pretty...how are you doing,how much longer now??? x00x

Polly said...

Love it!!

Polly

Amy Kinser said...

It looks wonderful and the price is unreal. Good job!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Now, that's what I call clever!

Great job.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Melissa Miller said...

Kathleen the new lamp is so beautiful. I just adore the fleur-di-lis and the pretty base.

Many blessings sweet friend. ~Melissa :)

PS Hope all goes well with the new baby girl. My prayers are with you.

Joy said...

Most excellent! Love the black furniture in the background.