Home of The French Marketplace

La joie c'est le partage
{ the joy is in the sharing }

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Infant of Prague


Would you believe me if I told you that this used to be an old plastic night light that I found at the Goodwill?
Seriously!


Take a look again.
When I found it, the plastic had taken on a shiny, peachy color and it wasn't in very good shape.
However, it is the Infant of Prague and since I do collect them, I just had to bring Him home with me.


The other thing that was bugging me was this blue paint.  Do you see how it was over sprayed onto the body and other sleeve?  I needed to fix this.
A can of gray spray paint, a bottle of white gesso, a paintbrush, and plenty of paper towels.  Yep, that's all I needed.
For those of you who read Rosemary's blog Villabarnes, you've probably already seen this technique.
If you haven't, you've got to visit her.  I discovered this painting technique while reading her blog.
FABULOUS!

Anyway, you just paint your object gray.  When it dries, brush over it with white gesso (small sections at a time - it dries quickly) and wipe off with a paper towel.
Brilliant.  Thank you Rosemary!!

So here He is again 

He's lovely!


I couldn't stop there though.  I painted several frames that I had too. 


These were just plain wood with little metal filigree scrolls in the corners



and this one was one of those gold plastic Syrocco frames.
Cool huh?

Have a great weekend!

xo and God Bless,
Kathleen

8 comments:

Robyn @ ItsRobyn.com said...

Lots of people would have passed over that little plastic nightlight. But you have an eye for potential. I look at Goodwill finds with the same eye. I often find people shopping near me eyeballing what's in my basket with the "how did she see all those treasures and I missed em?" look.

Beautiful job on your transformation! Robyn

Southern Bella said...

Love it! I am definitely going to have to remember and try this technique. What a great transformation.

Hope you and having a wonderful weekend!

Blessings,
Robin ~ Southern Bella

Heaven's Walk said...

I can't believe it's the same thing! Wow! Thanks for sharing this easy peasy technique - that I know I'll be using in the future! :)

xoxo laurie

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Yes, very cool!! What an amazing makeover! I never knew it was so easy to get a statue finish, especially on plastic!
Michelle

Pura Vida said...

I'm your newest fan. This is a great technique, it turned out great. I also collect these and saints and Mary for my tiny little chapel in my house, love the old vintage religious

Leslie A. Hawkins said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I love this technique and am going thrift shopping now to try it out! The doll turned out beautiful.

Jacqui said...

How wonderfully that little saint turned out!! I love it!

Jeanine said...

frames & statue turned out great! I've been a follower of Rosemary's for a while, she is so talented. I haven't tried this technique, what brand of spray paint & name of the color gray did you use?