Home of The French Marketplace

La joie c'est le partage
{ the joy is in the sharing }

Monday, December 13, 2010

A Tutorial for "Baby Legs"

I know this isn't typical decorating stuff, however, I made something that I wanted to share because I think it could make a great little Christmas gift for a sweet baby or a mom-to-be!

I made Abigail this cute pink plaid skirt yesterday, but wanted something to go with it to keep her legs warm. I'm sure you've seen the baby leg warmers (a.k.a. baby legs) circulating around blogland - I know I've seen a few, so I decided to try them out. Turns out they were super easy to do and they took about 5 minutes from start to finish!
Here is my version:

Start out with a pair of ladies knee socks. I found mine at Walmart. They came in a three pack for $5.

Lay one sock right on top of the other and line them up all nice and neat.

Then make three cuts.
One just above the heel, one just below the heel and one just before the toe.


Discard the heel and toe pieces so you're left with the two short pieces and two long pieces pictured above.


Take the smaller of the two pieces...

...and fold it in half with the wrong sides of the sock facing each other.



It should look like this.

Now...

...take the piece that you just folded and slip it over the cut edge of the long part of the sock as pictured above.


It will look like this. You will have three total layers. Pin them together, but remember to leave the middle open to allow for baby's leg to go through.


Slip the whole thing around the arm of your sewing machine and sew a straight stitch all the way around. You may want to increase the stitch length to allow for some stretching.

Here's what it will look like when you finish sewing.

Just flip that end piece over and now you have a cuff. This is the part that will go over the top of baby's leg.

The part that was the finished top of the sock, will now go at the bottom of baby's leg. Repeat steps for the other sock so you'll have two baby legs. Pictured above are the finished leg warmers all ready to wear. Pretty cool huh? And so incredibly easy. I've already made four pairs and Abigail wore them all day. They're great!

And they look super cute too!

Give me a few days and I'll show you how I made the skirt. It was just as easy and quick as the leggings.
Enjoy!
xo and God Bless,
Kathleen

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Too cute! That little outfit is so so sweet. As is your little girl. She's just adorable. I bet she's not a bit spoiled by all of her older brothers. :)

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Soooooooo cute....wow has she grown! x0x0

Unknown said...

What a great idea, I'm going to make some, I have a friend that's have a little one what perfect gift,and made with love to top it off...

rosalind crawford said...

Love your blog and the things you make, so lovely.
from rosalindcrawford.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This was such a great tutorial. It was very easy to follow, which is great since I'm really new to sewing. Thanks!

~Christen

http://christenheartspinterest.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/diy-babylegs/