Home of The French Marketplace

La joie c'est le partage
{ the joy is in the sharing }

Thursday, September 30, 2010

From Yard Sale to Fabulous

Okay, here it is as promised...my fabulous yard sale dresser!!
I found this beauty at a yard sale right at the end of my street. How about that for luck!
~~
Below, you can see the dresser exactly as I found it. White... yes... but not the shade of white I wanted.
So I got to work!
I put it out in the backyard, removed all of the drawers and turned on the sander





I painted the dresser in Ivory Satin by Krylon. Yes, spray paint this time. I didn't feel like messing with the power sprayer for this project so I pulled out the spray paint cans. I gave her several thin coats. When spray painting it's better to go light and easy in lots of smooth coats than heavy and thick. If you spray too much you'll get those drips and runs and we don't want those!

When the paint was completely dry, I sanded along the edges where it would normally get lots of wear and tear to give it a distressed look. Then I went over the whole thing with a glaze of acrylic paint mixed with water.
I used Apple Barrel brand in Brown Oxide #20511
I just put it into a plastic container and mixed it with a little water. Then apply the glaze with a damp paper towel and wipe off with a dry paper towel {very scientific...I know}
Work in small sections as you go.

Here, I've sanded the edges and added the glaze.

Be sure to get the glaze into all of the grooves and details to make them stand out!

And when you're done, enjoy your dresser!
Happy Friday and enjoy your weekend!
~~
xo and God Bless,
Kathleen
~~
Make sure you head over there to see all of the really cool stuff!

9 comments:

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Your dresser turned out beautiful. Love the curviness and the glaze looks great too.

kathie said...

What a great piece! You did a wonderful job on it- I know what you mean about not the 'right' white. Who knew there were so many? Looking forward to exploring your blog more!

Blondie's Journal said...

You did a beautiful job, Kathleen! I'd love to have the dresser for my own! I wish I knew a little more about glazes, I'm always afraid to take that 'next' step!

Thanks so much for stopping by! You have a great blog!

XO,
Jane

April @ HomeHinges.com said...

It looks really beautiful. Great job.

Cricket said...

Thanks for sharing. It's very pretty and takes the scare out of some of my "shelved" projects.

Unknown said...

This came out gorgeous, I have a question I have one similar in my girls room I want to repaint it, do I have to sand the drawers also or can I just prime and paint.....????

Alice said...

I did a similiar dresser for my daughter. I primed but did not sand. I painted the dresser white but the drawers a pretty celery green and used an antique gold glaze. We were very pleased with the results and thought it looked very "Frenchy"

Alice said...

I did a very similiar dresser for my daughter and I primed but did not sand. I painted the dresser white but I painted the drawers a pretty celery green. Then I used an antique gold glaze. We were very pleased with the end result and thought it looked very "Frenchy".

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Your dresser turned out beautiful, Kathleen! I found one recently {smaller than yours}, but I've decided to go with an Heirloom white and some glazing. I did wonder if watered down craft paint might work as a glaze and I'm so glad I found this post! Saves me standing in the paint aisle having no idea what to get, and I already have brown acrylic craft paint.