Home of The French Marketplace

La joie c'est le partage
{ the joy is in the sharing }

Friday, November 11, 2011

DIY Burlap Pillow

I have a quick project that I want to share.
I was in Hobby Lobby last week and saw some really pretty French inspired pillows.  They had graphics printed on them and I loved them, but not their price tag! 
So this is what I did:
you only need a few things...
burlap
sewing machine or needle and thread if you wish to hand sew
a printer
freezer paper
spray adhesive
one sheet of copy paper
metal spoon

I think that just about covers it.
Here's what you do:
First things first...sew a pillow cover out of your burlap, then
find a graphic that you like.  I went to The Graphics Fairy again for mine.  Take a piece of freezer paper and lay it shiny side down on your work surface.  Get your sheet of copy paper and spray it lightly with spray adhesive.  Lay it down on the dull side of your freezer paper and then smooth it out.  Cut the freezer paper to size by cutting around the edges of the copy paper.  Place this in your printer paper tray.  You want the image to print out on the shiny side of the freezer paper so make sure that your freezer paper is situated properly in the paper tray to do this.  Now you print the image. 
 **Remember to reverse or "mirror" your image before you print if it contains letters or numbers**
Final step:
Carefully remove the freezer paper from the printer taking care not to smear the ink.  Lay it print side down on your fabric and burnish with the back of a spoon.  Try not to let the paper slide around while you do this as it will smear.  You can tape it down if you wish.
Pick up your paper and voila!  A pretty printed pillow cover.
What I love about this method of transfer is that the image comes out faded.  I think it really gives the fabric and aged, worn look!


 
I like it even better than what I saw at Hobby Lobby! Have a great day everyone.
xo and God Bless,
Kathleen

edited to add:
I meant to add this link to the blog that inspired the idea of using freezer paper to transfer the image

6 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Super tutorial and it looks fantastic. Beautiful. Hugs, marty

Di@Cottage-Wishes said...

I will certainly try this! I just happen to have left over burlap...love the music one of my friends favorite songs..she is no longer here and when I hear it I know she is near! Di

Kellie Collis said...

How lovely! Very well done! Enjoy the beautiful weekend, Kellie xx

Patina said...

Very nice and I love the slipcover on the chair. Was that one of your projects?

Unknown said...

...it turned out fabulous!
so creative are you!!
xo, Rosemary

Karen said...

It turned out beautifully, thanks for the tutorial, I may try this technique. I'm a new follower.