Home of The French Marketplace

La joie c'est le partage
{ the joy is in the sharing }

Saturday, December 14, 2013

DIY Mercury Glass Christmas Trees


It's been a year.  A whole year.  Yes, I know, how terrible of me to stay away for so long!  Things just got busy and one day turned into another, which then turned into a month and well, here we are...an entire year later.
I'ts been a good year though.  We have been blessed and are so thankful.  We spent most of our weekends this summer at our cabin by the lake in the mountains.  We were excited to spend another week in South Carolina enjoying the beach {A family member lives there part time and was so gracious in sharing his home with us} I've been keeping busy with all sorts of fun little projects too.  
I've re-done lamps, made chalkboards, painted cabinets, started Project Life...I've been sewing, reupholstering chairs and ottomans...I completely re-did our bedroom {with an absolutely amazing color on the walls} and I've even dabbled in paper crafting and card making!
Whew, a lot I know but it's been a year remember?
I'll be sure to share all of these things in the coming weeks but for today's post, I wanted to share a project that I did for Christmas.

Mercury glass Christmas trees.
  I know you've seen them around.  They're so pretty and they add the perfect amount of sparkle to your Christmas decorating.
Let's face it though, they're expensive.  Especially if you wish to use more than one!
So, one day last year while walking through the Salvation Army thrift store I saw a tree shaped glass container and it sparked an idea.  It was 25 cents so I scooped it up and then started collecting them all year.


When it was time to start decorating for Christmas this year, I had seven of them (one of them isn't pictured here).  Most were clear glass but two were green in color.  They had a plastic lid that seals the bottom.  I think they were used as candy dishes?  The best part?  I only paid 25 cents each for them except for the large one in the back...it was $1.50
Using my DIY mercury glass technique that I posted about here, I went to work painting all of these trees with Krylon Looking Glass Mirror paint.  

I love how they turned out and they add just the sparkle that I was looking for!


I've scattered them throughout the house and they've landed on tabletops, the piano, and the fireplace mantel.
I even put two of them on our bedroom mantel.  I love them!



Thanks for stopping by and I hope you all are enjoying a blessed Christmas Season!

xo and God Bless,
Kathleen


1 comment:

Seawashed said...

You have been missed!!! But really I just returned to blogging a few months ago too...after almost a year of not visiting anyone, just posting once a month. I love the quote of St. Francis de Sales at the top of your blog. I want to see your bedroom...wall color! So glad you have had a good year with your family beside the waters...my favorite place to be. Beside the still waters He restores my soul. Psalm 23