Home of The French Marketplace

La joie c'est le partage
{ the joy is in the sharing }

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Diary of a Sofa

I have always longed for this Ektorp sofa.
It's neat and it's tailored but also comfy and casual.  It invites you to come and sit awhile...
but best of all, it is slipcovered.  With a husband, 3 boys, a girl and two dogs...it has to be.

We love everything about this piece of furniture.
There is one thing that it's missing though.
It doesn't yet have a story to tell.
I have always enjoyed old things for the stories they have to tell.  The long lives they have lived and the way they have been loved.
Something occurred to me though as I sat in the quiet dark that first night we brought this brand new sofa home.  I missed the stories that our old sofa held.
The seemingly endless days that I spent lying on it, suffering from all day morning sickness.
Little ones with tummy aches, scratched knees and pinched fingers sitting upon it with ice packs or bowls of chicken noodle soup.
Quiet evenings spent long after the kids were tucked into bed, snuggled up with husband watching old re-runs of the Andy Griffith show.
Do you know, I even went into labor late at night with our second baby while sitting on that couch?
It was our first furniture purchase when we got married and moved into this house.  Without even realizing it, that sofa was keeping a diary of sorts.  It was building a history right there in our family room.

  It has worn many different slipcovers and has witnessed several different style changes in its day.
All of a sudden I realized how much I would have missed this old sofa if we had passed it along to someone else.  Thank goodness it only traveled as far as our basement where we will continue to enjoy it there.

For now though,
a new story has begun.
Do you ever find yourself attached to a piece of furniture?  Have you ever had a really hard time getting rid of something that you don't use anymore because of the sentimental value that it holds?

I'd love to hear your stories!! I have been working on de-cluttering and I find myself running into this sentimental roadblock over and over again.

Have a beautiful day!
xo and God Bless,
Kathleen

12 comments:

Maureen Wyatt said...

I still sleep in the four poster, antique, double bed that I got when I was sixteen. I imagine I will for the rest of my life. ~ Maureen

Pamela said...

Yay! You're back! :)

Blondie's Journal said...

This is such a sweet post! My living room sofa is a faded floral and I just couldn't give it up. It has so many memories, like yours. I do love your new couch...I looked at that one for a long time!

XO,
Jane

Judy said...

I'm looking for a new sofa and have narrowed it down to the Ektorp (sp?)...will have to drive 2 1/2 hrs to the nearest Ikea and then assemble it....was the assembly difficult? My husband is not long on patience! Is it really as comfy as they say it is?

Thanks!
Judy

Seawashed said...

Soon your new Ektorp will not look so new anymore...it will get worn and cozy and tell lots of stories. We have two in our living room and I could never part with them now. They are my favorite sofas ever and we already have plenty of stories in the 5 yrs. we have had them. It's funny we still have our old sofa in the sitting room with the same white slipcover that your old sofa has!

Faded Charm said...

I've really been wanting to get one ofthese couches and chairs from Ikea lately. Are they really easy to keep clean because that is what I think will drive me crazy:-)

Yours looks beautiful just waiting to make some memories of it's own!

xoxo
Kathleen

Patina said...

Kathleen!...I was getting worried about you. Love the sofa...it looks like a great place to relax and enjoy your family. I just can't let go of my daughter's crib. I got rid of my son's and I wish so much that I didn't. I'm just glad I kept one of them. Hope you are all well!

Cindy said...

Awwwwwww, i love it that you value and appreciate all the history and experiences on your old sofa. I'm so glad it still has a place in your home. I had a sofa like that, and i miss it to this day. But, you know, sometimes they just have to go to make room for the new. Your new sofa is yummy and wonderful. I'm sure it will have it's own stories to tell too...!

Cindy

Heaven's Walk said...

I totally get what you're saying. I still have the dresser and mirror that I grew up. It's painted white now, but holds sweet memories for me. :)

xoxo laurie

June said...

I get so attached to pieces I have in my house. I just bought the Ektorp sofa/chaise for the reading room, and when we took out the old ragged sofa, I couldn't part with it. So up to the little cabin it went : )
Have a wonderful Wednesday Kathleen.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely post. I have a wall hanging that has been with me since my college graduation. It is a trip souvenir from Peru and it has always hung on a prominent wall in my home even though it has now badly faded. All of which is to say, I understand attachment to inanimate objects that carry a part of our history with them. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Musings From A French Cottage said...

Thank you all so much for your comments. I loved reading about the things that you hold dear. I appreciate you taking the time to visit and comment!

xo,
Kathleen